We’re thrilled to have been chosen for the second year of Theatr Iolo’s Platfform project for emerging artists.
The Welfare Ystradgynlais and Theatr Iolo are now on the hunt for artists who fall into two broad categories:
- A writer interested in developing a piece of new writing specifically with and for 11 – 14 year olds
- A theatre-maker (devisers, directors, writers, musicians, poets, spoken word artists, game-makers, puppeteers, story-tellers, comedians, creative partnerships, live artists – you name it) interested in exploring and devising a new idea with and for children and / or young people and their families (the age group will be decided by the artist and venue partner)
We’re looking for writers and theatre-makers that are:
- ‘Emerging’. By this we mean at the beginning of your career with a couple of projects under your belt or emerging into the young people’s theatre market for the first time i.e. you are not at the beginning of your career but have not previously made work for a young audience
- Genuinely excited at the prospect of making theatre and collaborating and co-creating with young people and their families
- Have original, adventurous and exciting ideas and are interested in sharing those with a network of artists, venues and audiences
- Have at least 6 months of experience in working with communities
- Are Wales-based or able to demonstrate a strong commitment to working in Wales
- Are willing to be mentored and develop practice.
The selected artists will receive a bespoke package of support that could include:
- Time, support and space to test, play with ideas, develop, explore, create
- Support from the Associate Producer and partner venue to realise ideas and make links with the community, as well as technical, administrative and marketing support
- Access to a bespoke package of training and go & see visits
- Mentor support from within the company and industry practitioners
- A daily rate adhering to industry standards
- A project budget to be managed with the Associate Producer. The amount available will be set on a project-by-project basis.
Theatr Iolo are inviting submissions for two residency opportunities. They’re thrilled to both continue working with year one partner The Welfare in Ystradgynlais and to be introducing The Riverfront in Newport to the Platfform venue mix.
Projects will take place between September 2016 – June 2017 (but may not last the full ten months, depending on the nature of the project). During this period we hope selected artists will throw themselves into Platfform and the world of young people’s theatre. This might include planning, researching, getting to know their partner venue and the local community, making contacts and networks, seeing work, attending training and developing an adventurous, engaging and interesting programme of activity with children and young people. This will build towards a work-in-progress performance event of some sort at the end of the residency.
You can find out more about what might happen during a Platfform residency
Here it is: http://eepurl.com/b2XAE9
and don’t forget to check out the blog. You may also want to check out what’s been happening over the last twelve months with our first cohort of artists. You can find out more about Platfform, why it was set up and what Theatr Iolo wants to achieve through the programme.
We welcome submissions from artists working in English, Welsh, bilingually, multi-lingually, through sign language, audio description – the list goes on. If applicants require additional support in completing their application in terms of access and / or language please contact Olivia at Theatr Iolo at email@example.com who will be more than happy to put arrangements in place or offer information in a different format.
If this all sounds right up your street, your next step is to make an application.
Here it is: http://eepurl.com/b2XAE9